Mayonnaise-Free Deviled Eggs
Note: did you know that maionnaise (as he called it) was invented by Cardinal Richelieu? Or, at least, so claims MFK Fisher in Serve it Forth. Be that as it may, I dated a boy for several years who refused to allow the stuff to pass his lips. Here, then, is my adaptation.
Boil 6 eggs until hard. Cool, peel, and cut in half lengthwise. Remove yolks and place them in a bowl. Mush them around with a fork. Add:
4 tsp half-and-half
1-2 tsp prepared Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste,
stirring after each addition. Place some of the yolk mixture in each white, and top with a sprinkle of paprika.
A variation I mean to try is the use of cultured buttermilk in place of the half-and-half, which might replace the sour flavor of the mayonnaise and balance the mustard. The Pennsylvania Dutch recipe I have uses 2 tsp butter as a binder, but I only recommend that if, like Anna, you don't believe in cholesterol.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home